Just like adults babies teeth are also very important. Babies teeth are called Primary Teeth as their teeth already present in jaw at time of birth and begin to erupt between 6 months to one year. By age of 3 most child have full set of 20 primary teeth. Usually first teeth come in baby mouth is upper and lower front of teeth.
FUNCTION OF BABY TEETH
1) Important for chew food
2) Important for speaking
3) They hold space in jaw for permanent teeth to erupt. If baby teeth fall early then permanent teeth drift in this space causing malpositioning and crowding of permanent teeth.
RIGHT TIME TO VISIT BABY TO DENTIST
Dental visit at early age not only check for cavity or decay but also guide us how to took care of babies teeth. How to handle habit of tongue sucking. They also check for any NURSING BOTTLE CARIES a common type tooth decay in bottle feed babies.
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF CHILD TOOTH
1) Clean babies gum with clean moist cotton cloth after first few days of birth.
2) Children younger than 3 year starts brushing as soon as teeth came in mouth.
3) Children at 3 year or afterwards use pea sized amount of tooth paste and brush twice daily.
4) Brushing should be done under adult supervision to check for right amount of tooth paste and not to swallow it
5) Use fluoride containing tooth paste for children.