Pregnancy is a stage where body goes through certain hormonal changes.This will increase risk of gum disease and hence also affect health of baby and their development. So few precautions are necessary for before, during and after pregnancy.
1) BEFORE PLANNING OF PREGNANCY try to make a dental appointment. So teeth, gum carefully checked and if there is any carious tooth then advanced treatment done prior to pregnancy. During pregnancy certain medications and radiography is strictly avoided as these will hampers fetus development.
2) DURING PREGNANCY regular dental checkup should be done. Urgent procedure may be performed. Elective dental procedure avoided till pregnancy. Pregnant lady should have to inform about their month of pregnancy, medications to their dentist. If radiography is urgent then should be performed under new advanced technology with safeguard. Swelling of gums is common during pregnancy. Pregnant lady should have to maintain good oral hygiene. If tenderness, swelling and bleeding gum occurred consult to dentist.
3) AFTER PREGNANCY if pregnant lady experienced any gum problem during pregnancy then they must have to go through a regular dental checkup after delivery.
FEW TIPS RECOMMENDED FOR PREGNANT LADIES THAT WILL HELP THEM TO MAINTAIN THEIR ORAL HYGIENE DURING PREGNANCY.
1)If there is morning sickness change tooth paste and use bland tasting tooth paste
2) Rinse mouth with water
3) Avoid sugary, starchy snacks
4) Eat a healthy balanced diet . include dairy products like cheese , yogurt that are good for babies developing tooth, gum and bones.