This is a medical condition that many babies born with.This condition arises when the frenum is thickened than usual and tongue get attached to floor of mouth.This will affect your child’s ability to speak ,eat as well as to swallow.
TYPES OF TONGUE TIE
1) Class 1-Tie at tip of tongue
2) Class 2-Tie at middle of tongue
3) Class 3-Tie at base of tongue
4) Class 4-Tie underneath the mucous of tongue and this condition require proper diagnosis because it can be confused by another medical condition microglossia.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS OF TONGUE TIE
1) Difficulty in movement of tongue
2) When baby stuck out his tongue,it appears like diamond or heart shaped.
3) Difficulty in breast feeding.This can be understand by further signs in your babies.
a) Inability to stay attached to nipple
b) Not gaining right amount of weight
c) Long duration feed with small breaks
d) Unable to latch properly during breast feeding
4) Once baby grow older there is hindrance in his speech to pronunciation t,z,l,d,s etc
5) Bad oral hygiene-Due to tongue tie proper brushing is not possible and there is swollen gum also.
6) This condition also led to gap between tongue.
TREATMENT OF TONGUE TIE
Some time this condition resolve by its own and in some cases this need to be surgically treated.