In lay man term or in common saying we call this gap between teeth. Generally this gap is noticed in upper anterior teeth. In clinical term we call that gap in upper Anterior Teeth as Mid-line Diastema.
Now question arises that what bothers us having space between teeth. As this gap not giving us any serious problems.
First thing noticed by people in our appearance is our smile. But the small gap between our teeth make us feeling conscious about our appearance, as a result we hold back our smile .
REASON OF THIS MID-LINE SPACE OR DIASTEMA:
1) Missing teeth or improper positioned teeth
2) Small teeth
3) Thumb sucking
4) Gum disease
5) Improper ratio of size of jaw bone
6) large labial frenum
PROBLEMS DUE TO SPACING BETWEEN TEETH
1) Unpleasant appearance.
2) Gap led to accumulation of food particles which led to formation of plaque and caries.
3) Spacing cause loosening of teeth as well as gum recession.
HOW THIS IS TREATED
Treatment of mid-line space is accurately treated by knowing it’s actual etiological factor.
1) orthodontic treatment to close the space between teeth.
2) Use porcelain veneers.
3) Crown, bridge or implants in case of adults.